Marsh Smith is a native of Southern Pines, He graduated from Pinecrest High School in 1976 and from Duke University in 1984.
Marsh graduated from Duke University and then attended North Carolina School of Law where he graduated in 1989. Then Marsh Volunteered as an Attorney with the Southern Environmental Law Center in Chapel Hill.
From 1990 to 1994, Marsh served as a Guardian Ad Litem attorney for Hoke and Scotland Counties.
Marsh belongs to the following associations:
• American Bar Association
• North Carolina Bar Association
• Moore County Bar Association
Marsh is also deeply committed to the local community where he is involved with the following:
• Moore County Wildlife Conservation Club
• Sandhills Area Land Trust
• Little Nine Conservancy
• North Carolina National Guard
• Emmanuel Episcopal Church